In the ever-expanding world of holistic pet wellness, CBD fish oil for dogs emerges as a potent whisper, drawing interest and intrigue from pet parents worldwide.
With an increasing number of pet owners turning to natural remedies to bolster the health of their furry companions, CBD-infused products, particularly those combined with fish oil, are gaining traction.
But what does science say? And how do these products weave into the broader tapestry of pet wellness? Let’s embark on this exploration.
THE RISE OF CBD OIL FOR PETS
CBD, or cannabidiol, a compound derived from the hemp plant, has been a stalwart in human wellness circles for its potential therapeutic effects. However, its application isn’t limited to us bipeds.
- Understanding CBD: Unlike THC, CBD is non-psychoactive, meaning it doesn’t produce the “high” associated with cannabis.
- Safety and Pets: Preliminary studies suggest that, when administered correctly, CBD is safe for pets, leading to its surge in popularity among pet parents (1).
FISH OIL: THE PERFECT COMPANION TO CBD
The combination of CBD and fish oil might seem unconventional at first glance, but the merging of these two natural supplements creates a powerhouse duo that can offer numerous benefits for both humans and pets.
Let’s dive deeper into why fish oil stands out as an ideal partner for CBD.
UNDERSTANDING FISH OIL’S POTENCY
Fish oil is primarily derived from the tissues of oily fish like salmon, mackerel, herring, and sardines. What makes fish oil so sought after are its omega-3 fatty acids, specifically eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA).
- Brain Health: DHA plays a pivotal role in maintaining the structure and function of the brain, making it an essential component for cognitive development and mental health (6).
- Heart Health: Omega-3 fatty acids have been linked to numerous cardiovascular benefits, including reduced risk of heart diseases by lowering blood pressure and triglyceride levels (2)(7).
- Anti-inflammatory Effects: Chronic inflammation can lead to various health issues. EPA, in particular, has been shown to reduce inflammation in the body, providing potential relief for conditions like arthritis (3)(8).
SYNERGY OF CANNABIDIOL & FISH OIL
The interplay between CBD and fish oil is where the magic truly happens. While both supplements are powerful on their own, their combined effects can amplify potential benefits.
- Enhanced Anti-inflammatory Potential: With both CBD and fish oil having inherent anti-inflammatory properties, their combined administration might provide a more potent and effective relief from inflammatory conditions (9).
- Boosted Brain Function: Combining the cognitive benefits of DHA and the neuroprotective properties of CBD might help support brain health, potentially aiding in conditions like anxiety or cognitive decline.
- Complementary Wellness: The combination of CBD’s potential calming effects and the nutritional assets of fish oil can provide a holistic approach to wellness, addressing both mental and physical health.
By understanding the individual strengths of CBD and fish oil, it becomes clear why they make such a formidable pair. As research continues to delve deeper into their combined effects, pet owners and individuals alike stand to benefit from this natural duo’s myriad of health potentials.
UNRAVELING THE BENEFITS
Harnessing the combined might of CBD and fish oil, products like those found on Dr. Hemp Me’s CBD Oil for Pets range offer a spectrum of potential benefits:
- Joint Health: Omega-3s in fish oil can support joint health, and when coupled with CBD’s potential anti-inflammatory effects, it might offer relief for older dogs or those with joint issues (3).
- Calming Effect: Anecdotal evidence suggests CBD may help reduce anxiety in pets, especially during stressful situations like thunderstorms or fireworks.
- Skin and Coat: Omega-3s are known to promote a glossy coat and healthy skin, potentially reducing skin conditions or irritations (4).
CHOOSING THE RIGHT PRODUCT
With the burgeoning market for pet CBD products, selecting the right product can feel daunting. However, platforms like Dr. Hemp Me offer a curated range, ensuring quality and safety for your canine companion.
- Check for Lab Results: Ensure that the CBD oil is tested by third-party labs, confirming its cannabinoid content and ensuring it’s free from harmful contaminants.
- Opt for Full-Spectrum: Full-spectrum CBD oil contains various cannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids, offering a comprehensive wellness boost (5).
- Dosage is Key: Start with a low dose and observe your pet’s reaction, adjusting as necessary.
WAYS TO INCORPORATE CBD PET OIL INTO YOUR PET’S REGIMEN
Introducing CBD pet oil, especially with a salmon oil carrier, into your furry friend’s routine can be a game-changer.
Not only does it harness the combined benefits of CBD and fish oil, but with its versatility, pet owners have multiple methods to choose from when administering it.
Whether it’s for dietary needs or topical use, let’s explore some of the best ways to make the most out of CBD pet oil.
1. MIXING WITH MEALS
- Tailored Dosage: Begin with a smaller dose and monitor your pet’s reaction. Gradually adjust the dose based on their needs.
- Flavourful Boost: Salmon oil naturally appeals to the palate of many pets, making it easier for them to enjoy their meals with the added CBD.
- Consistency is Key: For best results, ensure a consistent routine by adding the CBD pet oil to your pet’s meals around the same time daily.
2. CBD-INFUSED TREATS
- DIY Treats: Infuse homemade treats with a few drops of CBD pet oil. This way, you have control over the ingredients and the dosage.
- Ready-made Options: Several reputable brands offer CBD-infused pet treats. Always check for the concentration of CBD and ensure there are no harmful additives.
- Treat Moderation: While it’s tempting to give pets treats often, ensure you’re adhering to the recommended dosage to avoid overconsumption of CBD.
3. TOPICAL APPLICATION: SKIN PERMEABILITY
- Spot Treatment: CBD oil can be directly applied to specific areas, especially if your pet has localized pain, inflammation, or skin issues. The permeability of CBD allows it to absorb efficiently into the skin, reaching the local receptors of the endocannabinoid system (1).
- Massage Therapy: Gently massaging the oil can improve absorption and can also provide a soothing experience for your pet.
- Safety First: Always ensure the area is clean and free from open wounds. If your pet tends to lick a lot, use a protective collar or monitor them until the oil is absorbed.
The versatility of CBD pet oil with a salmon carrier makes it a user-friendly supplement that can easily blend into any pet care routine. Whether consumed orally or applied topically, its benefits can be harnessed in numerous ways.
Always remember to consult with your vet, especially if your pet has pre-existing conditions or is on medication.
CBD is sold as a food supplement only. No guarantees can be made about its effects. Always consult with a health professional before adding CBD to your pet’s diet, especially if given alongside other medications.
- McGrath, S., Bartner, L. R., Rao, S., Packer, R. A., & Gustafson, D. L. (2019). Randomized blinded controlled clinical trial to assess the effect of oral cannabidiol administration in addition to conventional antiepileptic treatment on seizure frequency in dogs with intractable idiopathic epilepsy. View Source
- Bauer, J. E. (2007). Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) as an anti-inflammatory: an alternative to nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for discogenic pain. View Source
- Fritsch, D. A., Allen, T. A., Dodd, C. E., Jewell, D. E., Sixby, K. A., Leventhal, P. S., … & Latta, K. (2010). A multicenter study of the effect of dietary supplementation with fish oil omega-3 fatty acids on carprofen dosage in dogs with osteoarthritis. View Source
- Müller, M. R., Linek, M., Löwenstein, C., Röthig, A., Doucette, K., Thorstensen, K., & Mueller, R. S. (2014). Evaluation of cyclosporine-sparing effects of polyunsaturated fatty acids in the treatment of canine atopic dermatitis. View Source
- Pamplona, F. A., da Silva, L. R., & Coan, A. C. (2018). Potential Clinical Benefits of CBD-Rich Cannabis Extracts Over Purified CBD in Treatment-Resistant Epilepsy: Observational Data Meta-analysis. View Source
- Swanson, D., Block, R., & Mousa, S. A. (2012). Omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA: health benefits throughout life. View Source
- Del Gobbo, L. C., Imamura, F., Aslibekyan, S., Marklund, M., Virtanen, J. K., Wennberg, M., … & Arnett, D. K. (2016). ω-3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acid Biomarkers and Coronary Heart Disease: Pooling Project of 19 Cohort Studies. View Source
- Calder, P. C. (2006). n− 3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, inflammation, and inflammatory diseases. View Source
- Booz, G. W. (2011). Cannabidiol as an emergent therapeutic strategy for lessening the impact of inflammation on oxidative stress. View Source